Bosnian and Herzegovinian Dolls

 


Pictured here is an 8 inch cloth over wire armature female doll wearing a folk costume from Bosnia and Herzegovina and most likely from Sarajevo if the postcard by Croatian illustrator Vladimir Kirin is to be our guide.

This doll is one of my favourites despite the fact it is not in great condition. I have never seen another doll like this one in all my collecting and it is the only female doll I own out of 150+ who wears the voluminous pants which reflect the Turkish influence in the region.

What is the stand out for me is the shoes which ,for a doll that was inexpensive and produced in substantial quantities, are exceptional. The real leather is handstitched together with blue thread and embellished beautifully. Note the red necklace made to replicate the coral necklaces so often found in the Balkans.










Vladimir Kirin Bosna (Sarajevo)



Comments

Instagram